Sunday, August 31, 2014

No Race, Less Problems


                                                                        Flickr.com

          In the film, “Race: The Power of an Illusion, Episode 1,” microbiologist Pilar Ossorio stated that the genetic variation between people of the same racial group are greater than that of different racial groups. Before the experiment was conducted, many students imagined that they were going to be the same biologically as the person they considered as part of the same race.  As I suspected, the students were not correct and were stunned to see the results. They discovered that not only were they unique within racial groups but also that their DNA was similar to other people that were across the globe. 

          While watching the film, I noticed that each student automatically knew who he or she was. Some knew they were white, and others considered themselves black. As for me, my parents always told me I was Mexican. I always followed Mexican tradition, including holidays, and my parents made sure I learned their language first. After some time, I changed from being entirely Mexican to now Mexican-American, although it is not an option on any application that I have seen that requires ethnicity. In Madera, where I currently reside, to be Mexican has a negative connotation. Since I classify myself as Mexican and because to most I look Mexican, there is always a lot to prove with my identity. People always assume Mexicans will not get far in education and they will either work in the fields or accept welfare for the rest of their life. Since race does exist and since people create stereotypes, being Mexican motivates me to prove everyone else otherwise and to eventually see myself as successful.

           listening to what the film said about Race, it made me realize how many people are misinformed on what they believe race is, myself included. What is most interesting is that race isn’t a single definition but instead on how each person was raised to believe what it is. Like for example, what might be considered white to Americans might not be considered white to Mexicans. It all depends on the majority. About four months ago I was hired by Sal’s Mexican Restaurant. I noticed that everyone around me always spoke to me in English, even people that hardly knew how to speak it. I knew they suspected I was white because of how unbelievably “white” my skin is to be considered Mexican. After speaking Spanish to a customer everyone was shocked and confronted me about it. That incident proved my theory right, that everyone has his or her own definition of race. Even though I am against having classifying people, I still catch myself believing some of the stereotypes/race that people create and spread. Until we stop seeing and focusing on who belongs where, then will the whole idea of race start to minimize. I still consider myself Mexican because of how use to it I am, if I didn’t have a label to my identity it would make me feel awkward and out of place. Hopefully one day in the near future race will no longer exist and the problems that already exist because of race will start to slowly decrease.

          Even though scientists haven’t discovered any genetic based difference between “races”, I am certain this idea will continue to exist. Within the years it is no doubt that “whites” have benefited from classifying people based off what race they are. They were seen as the superior, white, educated, rich, business owning type of people who were above any other race in America. I believe it is still around because of a tradition we have as Americans. We got so use to classifying one another that it would be odd to have a world without racial identities. Who we are as a race does shape us whether we know it or not it. Like mentioned earlier, to be Mexican motivated me to do better in life and to prove people in my city wrong about their stereotypes. In my perspective, the people who presently benefit socially are the people who have a good education and or a successful life. One thing is for sure, if race does get eliminated one day, I know it will reduce problems around us; discrimination included.






2 comments:

  1. I liked how you incorporated your own experiences to address the required points in the assignment. It made the blog feel more personal and easy to relate to. One part that I really liked was when you mentioned how being a certain race, or what it means to be a certain race, can be different from person to person. It was a good point to bring up because I think a lot of people often feel confused when it comes to identifying themselves. I think one thing you can do to strengthen your post would be to provide more evidence supporting the quote from the movie as well as going through and checking for things like grammar and stuff. Everything else is great though and I really enjoyed your post! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I appreciated reading your reflections. I would have liked you to tie in your comments in the last section a bit more to what we learned in class.

    ReplyDelete