Friday, December 5, 2014

Different Socioeconomic Status mean Different Education!


          I was born and raised in Los Angeles, CA with both my parents, and four siblings. My siblings and I were privilege enough to attend a private school since Kinder. My parents didn't send us through public school because the public school in the area was not as great, there were more students than a teacher could handle, there were many kids doing drugs, getting pregnant and the graduation rates were low. My parents knew that the public education in the Los Angeles District wasn’t great and decided not to send us there.
        The public school that was my district was a school that was located in a gang related area where the standardized test scores were low and budget cuts started affecting classes. "The budget cut took five days off classes,  have larger classes, no visual performance classes, no summer school and having to share textbooks with many students."  Instead  I attended Sacred Heart High School which was a very small school that helped me get a great education by having a variety of college courses available, social resources and connections, small classes, and great support system by faculty. My high school was an all-girl high school with about 220 students with my graduating class being 55 girls. My classmates were mostly all middle class Hispanic and White. The only thing that was different was that there were no African American students in the school. In a way I felt like this was colorblind racism because even though we "accepted" anyone with the grades and money to attend the school there was no diversity of people besides Whites, and Hispanics in the school. 
        A school three blocks away was Abraham Lincoln High School which was a very crowded high school having 2,045 students with budget cuts affecting classes. For my senior religion project, we decided to do a social experiment to see if students in our area are given the same opportunities as everyone else. I sat in classes in this public school for one day to experience the same education they go through; most of the students didn't pay attention, were on their phones, screaming, eating, and copying each other's answers. I was shocked because we would get detentions and even get suspended for doing those things. I was shelter in my high school with teachers that cared and experiencing a public school education with some teachers not caring if you paid attention or not was very sad to see. I noticed that in the "magnet" classes which were AP classes  the majority were Asians and White students. In those classes the teachers were more willing to teach and help the students. In the regular classes the majority were Hispanic students and the teachers didn't really care. I learned that their are difference of education people receive which made me appreciate the opportunities I've had because due to socioeconomic status and race not many get that opportunity. 

        In the book Race and Racism it described the educational inequalities minorities faced in the past. Chinese immigrants were not allowed in public schools before 1885. Other minorities such as African, Asian, and Mexican Americans were put to separate schools with unequal opportunities than white people (Golash 211.) Golash Boza explains that starting from elementary school through high school, students are placed in different classes depending on their groups, grades,and language barriers. Most of the time non-white children were placed in lower classes while white children are given honors and AP classes. These disadvantages are due to socioeconomic status and white privilege that has been going on in the past as well as still being present today. 

3 comments:

  1. This is a great start and a compelling story. I'd like to see you draw out the connections a bit more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your post because it relates to my experiences being a student in a public high school in LA. The difference of opportunities between these institutions is shocking because of how close they are in proximity. You would think people would have the same access to resources if they are in the same community, but that is obviously not so. I suggest proofreading for spelling errors and formatting the text to look the same.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Reading your blog really made me think about the inequality in the education system. I find it shocking that some students are able to obtain better resources than other. It is also very interesting because i feel not many people know what is actually going on.

    ReplyDelete