Friday, December 5, 2014

There Goes the Neighborhood

The American Dream- But is Everyone Included?
When my family first moved to Ceres, California we settled into our home and made friends with the children in our neighborhood. Moving to Ceres was the first time that my sisters and I became aware that not everyone is included in play dates. I had never lived in an area where there were predominately white people. Initially, there were no problems and the neighbors were very welcoming and allowed their children to play with us. It wasn't until two black families moved in did we begin to notice that not everything was as it seemed. Because they moved in directly across from our house on each side we naturally invited them over to play as well. It was then, that we noticed that things were different. For one several of our neighbors promptly sold their homes and even told my parents "there goes the neighborhood". It was shocking because even really nice neighbors who didn't seem to be mean or have racist tendencies suddenly wouldn't let their children play with us anymore due to our new friends. At that time we were too young to really understand but it didn't bother us. It wasn't until one afternoon when a little girl told my sister "I'm not going to be your friend anymore because you play with them", when my sister asked "what's wrong with them" the little girl stated "their black". My sister was devastated and told my mom. My mom who had her own personal experiences with racism (she is Japanese) told her "unfortunately there are people who are just plain mean- they judge people based on the color of their skin or the shape of their eyes, be friends with whoever wants to be friends with you AND who treat you nicely". Our black neighbors we grew up with are still in touch and we love them dearly. Reflecting back I now know that I witnessed an act of racism, structural racism in the form of residential racism and segregation.
 According to the 2013 U.S. Census estimate there were 43,160 individuals residing in Ceres; of that population 654 were Black. Unfortunately, racism is alive and well in the suburbs of the Central Valley. As witnessed by my family. In Chapter 10 of Race & Racisms: A Critical Approach by Tanya Maria Golash-Boza, racism exists in the housing market. This is not something that you think about when buying a house- at least not to my family. However, it is an ugly reality. Although the Federal Housing Administration (FHA) discriminatory housing programs have been discontinued it is still alive and well in not so blatant forms. For example, neighborhoods were there is an increasing amount of black families will lose property value as well as lose lucrative businesses that follow the exodus of white families (Golash-Boza, 273-282). It is a terrible shame because ultimately everyone suffers in that area. Because of this historic practice of neighborhood devaluation I can see what may have driven my neighbors to sale their homes quickly, the bottom line...money. They did not want to lose money on their most valuable asset, which is understandable but, not when it is a form of discreet racism. These practices need to stop so that there can be more diverse neighborhoods and everyone benefits from taxes brought in by businesses that want to serve a multitude of people. This also helps to bring about a social cohesion because when everyone can benefit it helps the entire community. My parents have stayed in the neighborhood and have some awesome neighbors. Black, El Salvadorian, Mexican, Indian (Asian),  Asian and a few white families. Because of our diversity we are lucky to have neighbors that bring food on various occasions and we in turn share food as well. We open each other's minds and palates with delicious foods as well as create a social tolerance that is much needed in the United States. I would like to say that my parent's neighborhood is unique. And maybe it can become and example of what neighborhoods can be like when you don't base it on property value.

2 comments:

  1. Kiyomi, I enjoyed reading your post because it was very clear and concise. I agree that living in a more diverse neighborhood is a good thing and the property values of houses should not be affected by who does or does not live in a certain neighborhood. Overall I think you did a good job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good job Kiyomi! I didn't think about money being a driving force for some of your neighbors to move- I appreciate your various perspectives. I also enjoyed your story; good for you guys for not partaking in the exclusion of others :)

    ReplyDelete