Friday, December 5, 2014

White privilege in housing

I grew up in a city called Ontario, California which is predominantly Latino, the Hispanic or Latino population as of 2010 being at least sixty nine percent. Although so parts of Ontario are richer than others, I grew up in one of the poorer neighborhoods in a full house, with many of my family members living with me. My neighborhood, just like the rest of the city in general, was occupied by Latinos mostly. The houses in Ontario are worth around two hundred thousand dollars approximately as of 2010. As a child, my grandmother had a boyfriend who was an old white man who lived in a nearby city named Claremont. Claremont is predominantly white, and the houses are worth five hundred fifty thousand, over twice that of Ontario's. I remember as a child always wanting to visit my grandmother and wanting to spend the weekend at her boyfriend's house because it was so large and fancy to me. My grandmother is more educated than her boyfriend, her having two masters degrees and teaching credentials, whereas he has only a high school diploma. He was afforded many opportunities in life that he capitalized on fully, becoming a salesman and moving his way up the corporate ladder, that doubtless he would not had he been anything other than a white man. My grandmother is a mexican american woman who was not afforded as many opportunities, having been born into poverty, but worked her way up to be a teacher of special Ed high school students.
The juxtaposition of my grandmother's and her boyfriend's living situation is a prime example of white privilege, as well as male privilege. My grandmother had to work very hard as a student for many years, being a single mother and having to work as well as attend school, to be able to afford a house in Ontario where so many of our family members could live. She is much more educated than the average American, but makes less money annually than the residents of Claremont do annually on average. Her boyfriend, however, is not as nearly as educated as my grandmother, and is as educated as the majority of California. Despite his lack of education, he was able to make significantly more money than her and move into a nice white neighborhood with a large house. He was born into affluence, a privilege most people of color like my grandmother are not given. He was also given many opportunities throughout his life because of his race and gender. White privilege allows for white people to have more opportunities, no struggle based on race, as well as advantages in the housing market, namely being able to live in a wealthier neighborhood inhabited by his fellow whites. He is old enough for him and his parents to have benefited from the blatant and lawful discrimination people of color faced that existed in the housing market before. This kind of racism still exists today because white people actively benefit from it. My grandmothers boyfriend and his people are able to have more opportunities and easier lifestyles, while still being insulated and surrounded by other white people. Whites are currently in power, and in order to maintain their power they must continue to make it harder for people of color to move up in the world.

2 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed reading your blog, just make sure to add an image so you will not get docked points. In addition make sure to add a statistic from the book, Race and Racism.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also enjoyed reading your post. I agree add a picture and have a link for the book. I can relate to your story because I myself also experienced housing inequality.

    ReplyDelete