Monday, September 1, 2014

Being Disqualified Before the Race Begins...

running free
         
             Throughout the film there was quite a bit of evidence listed to illustrate the truth of the statement made by Pilar Ossorio. One of the most prominent examples was the classroom experiment where student had taken pieces of their DNA and examined their skin color. The students had preconceived notions of who they would be most similar with but to their surprise they had many differences with these students.  Many of the students had hypothesized that they would be most similar to those who they physically resembled but it was in fact not that. For example an African American student by the name of Gorgeous said that she felt she would have the most similarities with a male African American student. After partaking in the experiment they discovered that there are no genetic differences for race and who they had originally preconceived as their most similar and most dissimilar match was actually quite different. This also applies to the stereotypes placed on races. The film gave the example of African Americans being better athletes based on their genetics but research illustrates that there are no genetic differences that would prove this. This evidence often contradicts what a large portion of society has depicted for centuries. For society to construct such provincial ideas it does not help to foster diversity and equality but instead hinders it.
            As a Hispanic –American female, I have always been considered in-between races.  I have often been told that I am a white Mexican or a “high-spanic” because of my light skin and more Americanized family upbringing. Some of these comments were made by those who are in the same racial classification as me. As I learned more about my race and identity, the real question I would propose is if anyone can truly define what a “real/true” Hispanic is? Growing up my grandmother was held back in school for not being able to speak English so she assimilated and Americanized to attain a job. Her assimilation helped her receive work but I I learned the majority about my roots in school. I had assumed that my thirst to educate myself about my roots would suffice for my lack of living in it, but it often was not. My last name on paper reads Aguilar but when I walk into a room I am disqualified before the race begins. I’m “too Mexican” to be white but “too white” to be Mexican. As a child the differences within my own family in skin tone, hair texture, and language were often apparent. It is for this reason that when someone defies what the socially constructed definition of a race is, I do not act shocked but instead I listen. I give them a chance to finish the race because much like a running race, it is one’s prerogative how they compete. One’s style and time put into practicing for the race are the place of the runner not of the spectators. Just like any sport though, an athlete may have their supporters and their critiques but it is up to the athlete to determine how that support or criticism is received. The least one can do is not disqualify them before the race even starts because one may be surprised how they finish.
            I believe that the idea of race persists today because we as human beings often have an inexplicable need to classify or categorize people. There are not genetic bases for the social concepts of race, so why do we still use it?  At one extreme, if one chose to not acknowledge race, a concept called colorblindness, then that could in itself be considered racism. The opposite extreme of always acknowledge ones race often leads to stereotyping. The best route would be a positive balance between both. In the film “Race: The power of an Illusion, Episode 2”  and within Tanya Maria Golash-Boza's text Race and Racisms: A Critical Approach, historically, those considered white were the ones who benefited most from race by being considered superior. Today the concept of white privilege is still prevalent in many societies. Societies have progressed tremendously particularly through education but change still needs to occur.  Change can occur even by taking small steps such as not disqualifying a person before the race begins.  





3 comments:

  1. This is a fascinating read. I had never heard of "high-spanic" before.

    Please go back in and create hyperlinks instead of having the links in your text.

    Here is a youtube video that explains how to create a hyperlink in blogger: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-igN-wxeIE

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enjoyable til the end. I also liked how you tied in your title to your post, kind of like a theme. However, like the person commented above, just make sure to make your hyperlinks within your post and not at the end.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved your post! When I was growing up many African Americans back home would classify me as not being black enough! But just like you I had a thirst to educate my self on Black/African American history and culture. In High School,I even started the Black Student Union and had implemented the schools very first Black History Month celebration. No matter how cultural you become, ones own racial group will always point out those who are different. Especially since you are about to get your bachelors degree. I also like how you tied in your last name and how society sees you as "too mexican". Its sad to say but we are judged by our names (first and last). Keep up the good work, the only improvements that I suggest would be to add in a hyperlink.

    ReplyDelete