Monday, September 1, 2014

WE ARE ONE!



Microbiologist Pilar Ossorio claims there is a greater genetic diversity between individuals of one so-called race than between those from different racial groups. Throughout the film, statements were presented to illustrate the biological myths of race and therefore offer an explanation for the existence of race. 
According to the film, one out of one-thousand nucleotides are different from one human to another. Meaning, the human species is the most alike in this planet. The idea that race is based on biological traits still exists today. In the past, inter-marriages were illegal and it is said that this was due to the false idea of biological superiority. Individuals from a specific race were not allowed to marry or mate with someone from a different race because that would be breaking racial purification expectations. Members of a "superior" race were, and probably are still today, expected to marry within their own superior race in order to conserve their pure superior genes. 
I am a Chicana woman with genetic traits that classify me as part of an "inferior" race, according to what society has to say. Growing up, one of the biggest challenges I faced was accepting my dark skin, my curly frizzy hair, and Mexican accent. On multiple occasions, my peers questioned my ethnicity and wondered why (if I was Mexican) did I have such a dark skin complexion and huge amounts of curly hair. My answer to them always was, “I was born this way”. Though, in my heart and in the back of my head I always struggled admitting I would much rather look a different way. I looked at women on the front cover of magazines, worshiped their skin, their hair, and their faces. It was almost impossible to feel beautiful in my own skin.
However, over the years, I learned to accept who God made me to be. I learned that I was looked down on for my physical traits because I was an outcast to societies expectations. I learned that the idea of race is societies creation. I learned that the definition of beautiful was the medias definition and the medias definition only. I would not let them define me. I would grow up to be a confident, dark, proud, Mexican woman!
Nonetheless, the film portrayed a much greater meaning of the definition of race. Race is a lie. We have used race to separate the human race and "we must learn to love, forgive, and heal each other", as stated by Okolo author of the article titled, Race, Racism, and Race Relations. My knowledge on race allows me to view my own racial identity as ONE, in unison, with EVERY RACIAL IDENTITY. Equal & diverse. We are one! It's clear that every human individually is their own person, based on their genetic exclusivity. Though, when compared across “races” we learned that a White Anglo-American can have the same exact genetic variations as a Black African-American. The film very powerfully was able to demonstrate that race is solely an idea we’ve created in our society generations after generations. We are one and biologically we have proven that! There is no superior nor inferior race. NONE! 


The idea of race persists in our society because it has been so strongly embedded in our minds for so many generations. I mean there was a point in time when slavery was legal and punishment for those that escaped their owners was also completely legal. I think these ideas have existed for so many years that it appears almost impossible to expect a change in people's ideologies only a couple generations down the line. 
As a social creation, race is used today to separate people into different groups and therefore place some above others. Race has allowed the "superior" race to become the most benefitted in our society in many aspects. For instance, there are statistics proving that a White male who committed the same exact crime as a Black male is sentenced for less years in jail than the Black male. Also, it's been proven through data that an employer would much rather hire a White male with a criminal background than a Black male with a clean record. But if we talk about the benefits White individuals enjoy over Blacks and every other minority, the conversation would never end. The list is endless. 
Overall, I feel it is extremely important we are able to realize that all of this is due primarily to the idea of race. Our society gives race so much significance unfortunately it plays a role in our lives every single day. From going to the doctor and filling out paperwork where you are asked to identify your race to applying to jobs and realizing they won't hire you as Jose but rather as "Joe". We must revolutionize the idea of race. We are all part of a single race. The human race. WE ARE ONE! 

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for your powerful comments, Jennifer. In the revised version, please put the links in the texts. To do this, create a hyperlink to the text. Here is a youtube video that explains how: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-igN-wxeIE

    ReplyDelete
  2. HI Jennifer,

    Thanks so much for sharing your story! I found it really powerful that you have been able to realize the wrongs of society and to empower yourself int he process! You included a lot of great evidence from the film which I really appreciated reading !

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jennifer thanks for your post I identify myself with your story because I as well grew up trying to fit into society. At the end of our time we are going to be judged on how good of a human being we were and not for our skin color. For me race doesn't really matter because I believe we are all created equal with the same human rights.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jennifer, thank you very much for posting this. I completely identify with your blog. Growing up, I too had a conflict with my physical appearance. The wish of being or looking a different way was also something that was always in the back on my mind. Its interesting that you point out curly hair because that is to this day, something that I continue to struggle with. My hair is not only long but also curly, dark, and unruly. Unless I tame my hair with hard-sticking gel, I have to resort to putting it up in a bun or braiding it. There is no worse feeling than being labeled or "identified" the moment you walk into a room strictly based on your physical appearance.
    You are completely right. There is NO superior race. Not under the eyes of God.

    ReplyDelete