Monday, September 1, 2014

Mitakuye Oyasin: We are all Related



Although different on the outside we are the same inside
There is variation between people within the same racial group as there is between members of different groups. This has been proven in the documentary film “Race: The Power of an Illusion, Episode 1” when students who found out that they had much more in common than previously thought. The students who were the most similar in genetic variation were very different when judging by the superficial appearances alone. Although we are all human we tend to categorize ourselves by sexuality, religion, race, etc. I think that although these are important aspects for socialization and social norms they often lead to conflict.
For many people race is an important part of their identity, their well being. I find this statement true in my own daily life to a point. I don’t think it is race that is my identifier, rather it is my ethnicity. I am half Japanese and half Native American- Oglala Lakota to be specific. Native American is a broad term because there are many different cultures, religions, languages, and customs etc. that are categorized under the Native American umbrella. These differences are put aside for powwow’s; in which all Native American groups come together in song and dance to celebrate the seasons or to just come together and commune under the beat of the drum that is sacred to us. Although my ethnic identity is important to me I don’t impose it or advertise it- I do get questions because of my unique name and I will then explain to that individual about myself. Other than that I identify as a human and that we are all related, mitakuye oyasin, as living beings whether we are human, animal, or plant. The thought of being related to every living thing is a humbling thought- I think that this saying creates a reverence to all things on this planet and that we should look at every person as such. After all there is little variation within the human genome biochemically between two individuals according to the National Health Institute.
The variation comes from our cultures, races, ethnicity however one would like to identify. While this is important I think that it can also lead to tension and thoughts of ethnocentrism. I think that a lot of conflict comes from lack of understanding and empathy for others that are not the same. This is so true in the case of my parents. My father’s side welcomed my mother because our tribe did have instances of marrying outside our tribe; my mother’s side was not so welcoming because of status. Because of the way that my family was treated by my maternal grandparents I wanted to have a different mindset. I want to be welcoming- I want to be like my paternal grandparents, non-imposing of my beliefs, culture, religion, etc. This mindset allows me to be me- Lakota and Japanese, while I enjoy learning about others and valuing their thoughts and opinions. I think that cultural variation leads to innovation because we all think differently, react differently, and have a difference in opinion. I would like to think that these differences are what drive the innovation of the United States, although this may be rose colored thought.

According to our text book and to episode 2 of  the documentary film “Race: The Power of an Illusion, the idea of race persists because it has been engrained in our society since the time of colonization. It continues to this day in any form we fill out; from registration at doctor's offices, to school forms, to employment opportunities, as well as being counted in the census. There are questions that regard race; we do have the option of not disclosing this information however race can be assumed when names are looked at- especially if they are not "American" names. Although science has not found any genetic basis that support the idea of racial differences it makes no difference. There will be those that benefit from the appearance of being "White". An example of this can be found in the article about Jose Zamora. Jose changed his name to Joe and immediately received many more employment prospects just by changing his name. This is disturbing because we really have not progressed as a society even though we have progressed technologically. Although, there is this reality of "white privilege" I think that times may be changing as we become more globalized and become more aware of the situations that are happening around us. Mitakuye Oyasin we are all related and should treat each other as such.




3 comments:

  1. I enjoyed reading your post. I'd like for you to think about how what we learned in the film and readings might also inform your thoughts on this topic. Try to make the connections clearer.

    Instead of having the links in your text, use hyperlinks:

    Here is a youtube video that explains how to create a hyperlink in blogger: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-igN-wxeIE

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Mitakuye Oyasin" is such a nice way to think of livings beings--"a reverence to all things on this planet." You engaged and affirmed Ossorio's comment and added your personal thoughts to it. The only point I would suggest is putting your picture before your first paragraph as it sort of breaks the flow of thought while reading the rest.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really enjoyed reading your post, I learned a lot from it. Mitakuye oyasin really is a nice way to describe our relations with each other and the world around us. I like how you mentioned and explained some aspects of Native American and Japanese cultures. Overall, I think your post met all requirements and answered the questions.

    ReplyDelete