Monday, September 1, 2014

Diversity Amongst Our Own People


I guess my brothers and sistahs are different after all. 


 Ever since one was young, we were taught that those that look like us are the same. From our skin color, facial features, and hair texture, we were always classified as one group. Some were classified in a good way, meaning that they were seen as being superior to others due to genetic features and others were classified as inferior. We were taught that it must be a genetic reason as to which we are and what group we belong to.  

  The film “ Race: The Power of an Illusion, Episode 1”, expressed diversity amongst those within the same racial group versus those in different racial groups. Microbiologist Pilar Ossorio stated that “ There’s as much or more diversity and genetic differences within any racial group as there is between people of different racial groups”. The evidence that was provided to support Ossorio's statement was research constructed by students and other researchers all over the world. In the video, students that classified themselves as apart of a certain ethnic group took samples of their DNA and compared it their peers. Many of the students guessed that they would share the most similarities to those who classified themselves in the same racial or ethnic group as themselves. To their surprise and mine, many students shared more genetic similarities as those whom did not classified themselves in the same racial/ethnic group. When I heard this statement, I was trying to deny the fact that the statement may be true. Society classifies and groups all those who share the same physical and not genetic features. Being an African American woman, I have seen much difference amongst the Black/African American racial group. I’ve seen many Black/African Americans with different skin color, facial features, and even different hair textures. I knew that there was an extreme amount of diversity amongst racial groups, but I wouldn’t have guessed that there was the same amount or less diversity between people of different racial groups. When I see someone with darker skin, curly or thicker hair texture, I assume that they are within any racial group besides white. To find out that I may not share the same genetic similarities as one whom may classify themselves as African American, but may have more genetic similarities as someone who doesn't share the same cultural and physical features as me is unbelievable. With this information it also makes me think of what factors may play a part in this, I am full aware that many African Americans share the same genetic makeup as a Europeans/ Whites due to the raping and cross mixing of African American slaves.
  With knowing that many of the races intermingled, Ossuaries’ comment makes perfect sense. The video not only provided her opinion, but studies that had proved her claim to be correct. Genetics is what truly makes us, but society is what makes us classify ourselves as to what we believe we are. Society classifies us by physical features in which one who is may not be classified as part of a group whom may have the same features but according to society one must be apart of that group.
      After reevaluating the information I was given and also taking a deeper look as to what I classify myself, the evidence did alter how I once thought. I guess the thing in regards to race and classification is just something that I was learned since an earlier age. The melanin in our skin doesn’t make us who we are and what group we are “supposed” to belong to. I know it will take a while to unlearn societies lessons on race, but after learning that those whom may not look alike are not much different from each other than we thought, I need to change my personal views of race. I also believe that we all as a society need to change our ways when it comes to race and racism.
After reading chapters one and two from the book Race and Racism: A Critical Approach Oxford University Press, my thought on the concept of race has changes. Like I once stated, I thought that race was something that has always been implemented. That once one was born they were already put into a separated group, but maybe that’s because for so long we were told that. The idea of race is something that was taught to us at a very young age. Its something that was passed down to us for generations and for some odd reason it will probably still be passed down to the generations to come. One may not even remember a time when race didn’t matter in our society. As everyone may know their some positive and negative things to being categorized in a specific group. Looking through history we can honestly say that one group has almost always had an advantage over others, and that would be the people whom identify themselves as White.
 From colonization to slavery, history has always shown that the European/ Whites have always had an advantage. From the past to the present the only group that seems to be having a huge disadvantage would be those that are put into the category of having African descent. When we look at past and present issues that surround race, there's always compromises for everyone besides those that are identified as Black or African American. Unfortunately there will always be a distinction between those that are Black or African American. It breaks my heart to see that every racial group has the possibility to experience being apart of a category in which has advantages, besides those whom are Black or African American. Society may say that racism has disappeared, but when Blacks or African Americans are the only ones whom may be left out of the equation of being in a category for the advance, and then racism is still present. Yes, the United States may have an African American president, but what good is it if those of other countries or “races” still will not treat him as an equal and shake his hand. As a society we have a long road ahead of us in order to promote equality amongst all while changing this idea of "race" that we have learned. 

3 comments:

  1. Hi Daralynn,

    I really enjoyed reading all your thoughts and ideas, thanks so much for sharing! The piece that really resonated with me was your ending about society unlearning lessons on race. Too bad there was not a way for society not to unlearn race but to be more educated in it. Being able to appreciate and encourage the diversity of race is always positive but it is when these differences become a person's reasoning for inhumane treatment then that is when it becomes dangerous territory. If only it were required for everyone to take some form of race education course, not to be experts on it but in an effort to eliminate stereotypes and foster equality.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I appreciate your reflections. I like how you considered what we learned and reflected on how it might shape your beliefs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like your blog, I feel that I can connect with you in the sense that I also thought I was genetically closer to my race because we share common characteristics. Even though that is not the case, I think people need to understand that no matter what we look like or where we are from we are human beings. Our pass clearly does not show us that by the way history has treated others. Another comment I wanted to make was that Pilar Ossorio is a woman not a man. Good job thought I really liked your post.

    ReplyDelete