Monday, September 1, 2014

Is Race a Form of Identity?

Is Race a Form of Identity?


What defines race? Is it the color of your skin? Where you were born? Or is it the genetics that were passed down from generation to generation? Personally, I agree with the statement made in the documentary “Race: The Power of an Illusion, Episode 1” that race is socially and historically constructed. In the film, Dr. Alan Goodman stated that race is an idea attributed to biology, meaning that people think that race has to do with the biological make-up of a person. Biology then becomes and excuse for social differences; it translates into a mean of classification. To put it in simpler terms Race is a human invention. Pilar Ossorio stated, “There’s as much diversity and genetic differences within any racial group as there is between people of different racial groups.” When I first heard the statement it did surprise me; logically, I would have thought that because I am Mexican-American I would have more biological similarities with those of similar roots and ancestral ties. Genetics play a role in the physical characteristics in certain populations and because of natural selection it is more advantageous to pass down genes that are environmentally favorable. Natural selection happens through different event such as genetic drift, mutations, and migration. The genetic material of a species is passed down to their offspring, which allows them to live and adapt to their environments. For these reasons, it surprised me that humans have more diversity and genetic differences within their own racial groups. I thought because genetic material had been passed down from generation to generation, people of the same racial group would have similar genetics.  

I was raised by Mexican parents and largely influenced by the mainstream American culture. Moreover, I was raised in a small rural town in the Central Valley. Laton is a small agricultural town with an estimate of 1,800 residents, and about 76% of the residents identify themselves as Hispanic or Latino. Growing up in a community where mostly everyone you know is Hispanic or Latino does not expose you to different cultures. It wasn’t until I attended UC Merced that I was able to interact with students of different nationalities. Because of my lack of exposure to a variety of cultures and nationalities I did not struggle with my identity because I knew exactly who I was and where I fit within my town. My closest friends were all Mexican-American whose parents held the similar traditions and beliefs. Everywhere I went I knew I would be comfortable fitting in.

Looking back at Pilar Ossorio’s comment, it did not make me think differently of myself because my “race” does not define who I am as individual. My identity is influenced by my cultural roots and not my genetic predisposition. If I must be classified, I am a young Mexican-American woman or a Latina. Culture is what makes me unique. Genetically, I could very well belong to a different “race” but my identity is made up of what I value the most.  My parents instilled on me core values that can be translated into any culture. I am proud of my heritage and where I come from, but it should not define where I go in life or how others should view me. My identity is what I make it, and not how others define me.

I believe that race persists because of social meaning and the implication it has on people's identity.  As a society we use race to describe people that look physically different. It has been used to attribute certain characteristics found in specific groups, such as athletic ability. Over and over, it has been seen throughout history that the people with power and resources use race as an excuse for superiority. They believe that anyone that is not like them is beneath them, thus creating a barrier between people.








3 comments:

  1. Great job tying your reflections and experiences to what we learned.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You did great in incorporating every question into your blog and mentioning our own experiences. I especially liked the ending where you expressed your feelings over your racial identity and how that doesn't affect the way you see yourself regardless of how others feel. Also, you make a great point as to why we should not be identified by our race but instead be defined by who we are as a person.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I could really relate to your experiences because I am also from a small rural town concentrated with a majority Hispanic/Latino population. My main suggestion would be that you discuss more about the evidence presented in the film. Maybe include some specific examples or statistics used in the film. There were several examples that talked about natural selection and mutation. For example, they discussed about the impacts of sickle cell disease and why it is an advantageous trait. I would suggest you paraphrase Pilar Ossorio’s comment in your first paragraph. Use your own words. Again, explain the film and the findings a bit more. There are some minor grammatical mistakes so keep an eye on that. Besides that, I appreciated that you said some values can be translated into any culture. I agree very much with that. Good job.

    ReplyDelete