Monday, September 1, 2014

This isn't the way race should be.

             Pilar Osorio’s statement, “There’s as much or more diversity and genetic difference within any racial group as there is between people of different racial groups”, sheds light onto the social construction that lies behind “race”.  Contrary to what logic would imply, race isn't a term used to classify the entire "human race". Race is now a socially constructed barrier that forces humans to categorize themselves based on physical differences. It has been constantly reinforced that racial lines are a divisor that implies the common misconception that physical differences lead to genetic differences.
             In the movie "Race: The Power of an Illusion", the studies that were conducted tested the validity of existing differences between these predetermined "races". The students that took part of the DNA workshop compared skin color, drew blood, and performed a cheek cell test from which they would obtain crucial DNA data. From the DNA that was obtained, the students of different "races" were able to compare their genetic makeup with each other. The results proved that the nucleotide arrangements were more similar to students of other "races". This completely contradicted their assumptions that their genetic makeup would be closely related to that of other students who were of similar backgrounds.
               It is my innermost belief that race is socially constructed, something that is passed down from our parents onto us having previously been enforced or promoted by society. I don’t know if it has been cultural or religious differences that prevent for me to wholeheartedly associate myself to a specific race. As a child, I remember that when I learned to use the word “race”, it was used to complete statements such as “we are part of the human race”. My father would give me advice such as, “simpre hay que ser raza con la raza.” This meant that I had to treat other humans respectfully because we are all the part of the same race, the human race.
Perhaps it was the lack of exposure, but I never had to come across a situation where I had to choose my racial identity. Over time, this has completely changed, as I have had to face the confusion of identifying my race. Personally, I looked to the example of my parents in order to identify myself. Both my parents were born and raised in Mexico. I take pride in being of Mexican descent even though I was born in California. When I am asked of my nationality I am confident in answering that I am a Mexican-American. When I am faced with the question of what my race and ethnicity is, that’s when I get confused. I don’t know what to answer. I feel that the lines between ethnicity, race, and culture have all been crossed. We have intertwined physical, cultural, and ethnographic differences. Thus, making it confusing for us to understand race.


                  Certain questionnaires will have the option of selecting “Hispanic” or “Latino/a”. When I see this, I immediately identify to it and select it. If I don’t see any of these options, I leave it blank. I have heard that Mexican-Americans like myself are considered to be part of the “White” race. Although it may sound ridiculous, I find it hard to accept this as being my “race”. It may be imposed to me by my own stereotypes or stubborn mind but I cannot consider myself white. According to the United States Census, I wouldn’t be wrong in not identifying myself as such for race is based on “self-identification”. I find it disturbing that the white race is referred to as a color. I am not white (the color)...
                    If this is truly the "race" that I belong to why do I feel so uncomfortable classifying myself as such? Why does there even exist a NEED to classify humans according to these predetermined races? I can understand animal classification such as that presented in Charles Darwin’s work The Origin of Species. In classifying animals, reptiles, and others inhabitants of this Earth, we have gained insight to multiple scientific aspects such as: evolution, mutations, modifications, variation, etc… In classifying humans, our only gain has been to construct a barrier among most people of the human race. Forcing us to take slight physical differences and view them as genetic barriers that distinguish humans from one another.
                   Still, race wouldn’t have the strength it does today if the human race hadn’t allowed it to be so.  This human invention has produced inequality that has reproduced itself in even more dangerous channels including: racism, discrimination, stereotyping, and endless others. We already have more than enough evidence that PROVES there are no genetic differences among “races”. Now we need to face this reality and let go of the dangerous racial mindsets that we embrace to distinguish ourselves. The only product of this has been an unyielding structure that classifies races and the people that belong in them. These classifications result in a ranking that calls forth the superiority of one race compared to all others. The only people that benefit from this are those at the top. The ones that everyone wants to be. The ones who like all of us are human and have the power to cease racial categorization and in turn all the consequences that are associated with it.

 



3 comments:

  1. Diana: These are great reflections that relate directly to the text.
    In the revised version, please put the links in the texts. To do this, create a hyperlink to the text. Here is a youtube video that explains how: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-igN-wxeIE

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed reading your post. Thank you for your candidness about your personal experience. I believe that we learned race all wrong as well and I like your father's advice. Great read.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really enjoyed reading your blog. I completely understand you when you discuss that Mexican American's are considered white in census or other documents. I also don't feel white and sometimes not American as well due to the reason that I don't get treated like I am white. It is a very hard concept to understand when you see yourself one way yet are enforced to think another. I really like your dad's comment because no matter what color we are, at the end of the day we are all human beings.

    ReplyDelete