Monday, September 1, 2014

Racism is based on appearances only.....




      The documentary Race: The Power of an Illusion explains how the concept of race is a socially constructed idea that is not supported by any biological evidence. Pilar Ossorio a microbiologist and bioethics quotes from her film, "There’s as much or more diversity and genetic difference within any racial group as there is between people of different racial groups". In the documentary students from different races gather together to see whether their genetic makeup alongside their skin color proved to be similar or different from their peers. Students tested their DNA and looked at their skin type to examine who they thought their genes would be most similar to and who they would be different. What the students found was used to support Ossorio's belief that we have more concordance with people from different groups than people within our race. 

     After watching the documentary and learning about the classification of race and how people where classified by phenotype differences, the film made me realize that racism is based only on appearances to identify groups. The history of racism can be traced backed many centuries when people of European decent want to dominate other countries or groups of people. Race has only been used as a form of superiority to dominate others. I feel that there is a need to define race a phenotype difference between groups from different locations. Throughout history many have always separated themselves from other races because they look or appear different from them. We have seen this with the Eugenics movement where many European's or whites wanted to purify their race as the strong superior race. There are many more examples in history that have demonstrated that we are different as culturally, but not racially. After watching the film it made me realize we are more alike to those we think we are different from, biologically speaking our genetic makeup proves we are similar to others, than our own racial group. The question still remains, if Ossorios statement is correct then why does racism still exist? 

      After the film I questioned my identity, because I have always thought I was Mexican. I have thought this because my parents and ancestry that I know of are from Mexico. Since I was born in the United States, according to the census I am Mexican American, however I do not feel American. It is hard for me to identify myself as American when I know that I won't be accepted The film has opened my eyes to see that I am a Mexican American woman regardless if I'm accepted or not. The reason why I say this is because genetically I am similar to others outside my race than within. Sure I may look different, but inside our cells and our DNA we are all alike. Racism will always be a controversial topic to talk about because of the history behind it, but treating every person equally and accepting their cultural is one step. 


        The idea of racism still exists, as seen in the second part of the film, race developed over four centuries ago. Race was not something that was created over night, it took 400 years to expand and develop the way it has now. There is no scientific evidenced that proves that race is real because it is socially constructed. As we have learned from the film colonization had a huge impact in the creation of race. Even though many scientist wrote books about how the "Negros" were inferior in comparison to whites, the data is inaccurate. The idea of superiority and power is the reason why racism continues to live, land owners, politicians and in modern times corporations benefit from white power. Another reason why racism still exists is that after slaves were free they have not been given the same opportunities as whites, this has been proven many times by sociologist. One example, is when employments prefer to hire white names than black names on resumes. Another example is the justice system where many more blacks are incarcerated than whites for the same or less extensive crimes. These examples represent who is on top and who is on the bottom. To answer the question racism will continue to exists unless we all can turn this idea around. 


3 comments:

  1. Interesting reflections. Please make it clearer what you learned in the film and how it relates to your reflections.

    Please go back in and create hyperlinks instead of having the links in your text.

    Here is a youtube video that explains how to create a hyperlink in blogger: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-igN-wxeIE

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoy reading your blog. Your reflection on the last paragraph is interesting and true on how a person insist which "race" you are most identifiable to.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I liked how you connected your experiences with what we learned in the film. Maybe use some examples or concrete details? Other than that I think it cover everything!

    ReplyDelete