Monday, September 1, 2014

Scientific Racism


Throughout western history, mainly American history, it was a common belief among the white community that people of color were naturally and inherently inferior to white people. Scientists would look to use their biological research to prove their racist beliefs. Today, however, science has proven that to be false; that, as microbiologist Pilar Ossorio put it in the film “Race: The Power of an Illusion, Episode 1,” “There’s as much or morediversity and genetic difference within any racial group as there is betweenpeople of different racial groups.” Also in the film, evidence was provided that proved Ossorios statement.
            Students in the film were tasked to collect their own DNA samples and compare them to other people’s of different and same race as their own. The data showed that they had the most similar DNA to random other people than to people if their same race. Scientists believe the genetic diversity within races is a result of the different races not having been isolated from each other long enough for non-superficial genes, namely skin color, eye color, hair color and texture, etc., to exclusively exist within a population, along with all throughout the population. Despite science proving that no biological or geneticnon-superficial between races exist, it is still common belief among the masses that these differences exist.

            Common stereotypes that are generally attributed to biology are that African Americans are more physically capable and fit, that Asians are usually smarter, that Latinos are passionate and colorful, and that white people can not dance. I myself am Mexican American, but I do have fair skin, green eyes, and light brown hair. I assume that because of my appearance, that although my family comes from Mexico, I presumably have heavy Spanish or European ancestry as well. My appearance is generally used to inauthenticate or discredit my ethnicity because I do not look like the stereotypical Latina or Chicana. Knowing that race is not genetic or biological, but rather a social construct, means that I am as genuinely Chicana as any other Mexican American I meet simply because I was raised as one. I have always known that Mexicans all look different because of all of the interbreeding that exists in Mexico, so this knowledge does not affect my own perception of myself so much. Though that is only because I have already known it to be true of my ethnicity. However, it is comforting to learn that my presumed heavy Spanish or European ancestry has no affect on me biologically. It only affects my person because of the interactions I have with the world a s a result of my white person looks. I do not adhere to many of the Latina stereotypes aside from appearance as well, such as I am not very passionate or colorful. I can not dance, just like the stereotypical white person. I know now that me not adhering to stereotypes and adhering to others has nothing to do with my ancestors race, but just the genes they passed on and how I was raised.
 The idea of race persists in America despite there not being any scientific proof of how biology creates race, this is because it gives white people an excuse to continue subjugating people of color guilt free while simultaneously giving them a reason to not have to recognize their racist and destructive behavior. if races are not a social construct and really do exist, than people of color are being subjugated because of their own doing. Believing the subjugation of people of color is the fault of the people of color means that white peoples behavior is excusable and natural.
Although science has yet to prove there exists any genetic difference between races, and has actually proven the opposite, most people still believe there to be differences between the races. Usually, people attribute these differences to cultural and societal differences in treatment and behavior towards different races. Regardless, it is common belief that races exist, but it is not only perpetuated by white people. Every race hold onto this belief because it is a part of their identity and it offers some sort of fellowship to members of their same race.
Genetic resources8

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing your reflections.

    Please add a photo and create hyperlinks in the text. Here is a youtube video that explains how to create a hyperlink in blogger: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-igN-wxeIE

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed reading your blog. It had a great hook at the very beginning!

    You might be missing a few things including a picture and the two links, but overall, you did a good job.

    ReplyDelete